What about Ryan?

Yesterday morning, as I was reading the updates on my friends' blogs, I stopped at Ashley's. Her last post made me realize that I too am always talking about myself and hardley ever focus on just Ryan. So, this post was inspired by Ashley's "What about Bob?" post and I am going to spend the whole time talking about Ryan and what he's been up to other than studying.
As I've mentioned before, Ryan did a research project this summer where he was helping to determine why anti-depressants work in adults but not adolescents and what changes between adolescence and adulthood that would make the anti-depressant drugs go from being ineffective to effective. Something that always made me chuckle was that the doctor that Ryan was working with is named Dr. Happe (pronounced "happy")... so his name is Dr. "Happy" yet he is doing research on depression! Ha ha! Kinda funny! Anyway, Ryan used rats as a model in his experiments and spent a good part of the summer sectioning rat brains. The project sounds a lot more glamorous than it actually was. Anyone who has ever done research knows that the results are what are fascinating. The process to get those results is, often times, tedious and boring. Despite the monotony of the job, Ryan learned a lot and had a good experience overall. It definitely gave him a deeper appreciation for the researchers who work behind the scenes! Now that summer has ended and year 2 has begun, Ryan has been studying almost non-stop. His Infectious Disease class has been difficult for him because of the massive amount of material, but I'm happy to report that he had his first quiz of the year on Wednesday and he did very well! That's my boy! Yesterday, Ryan had clinic for the first time and he seemed to really enjoy it. He got to see some pretty interesting characters at the hospital, and even got to see his first anal abscess! Luckily he didn't have to be there when they lanced it. I can only imagine how awful that would be to experience... So, when Ryan isn't at school, at the clinic, or studying, he and his new work-out buddy, Chris, take trips to the gym. Ryan has developed a complex (he thinks he's fat...), so it makes him feel a little better about himself when he's going to the gym regularly :)
I guess that's about all that's going on with Ryan these days. He's a busy guy, that's for sure! I very much appreciate all of Ryan's hard work and am so grateful that he still makes time to spend with our little family in spite of his crazy schedule. I am so blessed to have such a wonderful husband! I love you, hun bun! Good luck this year- I know you'll do great!

Comments

Ashley said…
I like the blog about Ryan. Yes, we suffer from them being so busy but they really deserve a pat on the back every once in awhile.
Dave said…
Frankly, I wanted to hear more about the anal abscess....

Popular Posts