Labor Day Weekend
After a long and terribly stressful week at work, I was more than ready for a 3-day weekend. To start it off, Ryan and I went home after work and school, had a little dinner, and relaxed in front of the TV. A while later we went to TCBY with Chris and Angela and ate our fill of frozen yogurt. Then, after a little more TV, into bed we went. I think the week had completely exhausted us both. It was so nice to have a good night's sleep.
Saturday, I did some cleaning in the morning and spent the rest of the day running errands while Ryan hit the books. Saturday evening, Bob and Ashley did what they do best - they hosted a BBQ! With the exception of Nick and Alena, everyone was able to make it over for the fun. The food was delicious, as usual. Ryan and I were super excited to finally use our Omaha Steaks gift card to get some rib eye steaks (the gift card was a Christmas present from my work last year). Let me tell you, Omaha Steaks did not disappoint! The steaks were so tender and flavorful... my mouth is watering just thinking about it! Anyway, we had a good time chatting, eating, and playing a dozen or so games of catch phrase (which, I'm sad to say, the girls lost almost every time).
Sunday was supposed to be a day of church and relaxation, but because I didn't have enough time to get over to our old apartment to complete our move on Saturday, we had to go over there and tie up the loose ends on Sunday. For those of you who might be a little confused as to why we are still dealing with our old apartment, we were forced to pay rent for both places for the month of August because the contract we signed at the old place didn't terminate until the 31st of the month. Definitely sucky to pay double rent for a month, but necessary. (We didn't want to have to move while Ryan was in school.) So, to make things a little easier on us with the move, we decided not to worry too much about the old apartment until we were settled into our new home. We left a few things that we didn't need right away at the old apartment and planned to get them later when we turned in our keys and made the move final. Things we left included cleaning supplies (so we could clean the apartment before turning in our keys), a couple bikes, a lamp, umbrellas, and some other random stuff. So when we arrived on Sunday morning to finish up, we noticed right away that there had been people in our apartment. Our walls had been painted, there were cigarette butts and ash everywhere, and there were things of ours that were missing. Ryan and I were both furious! No one should have been in our apartment at all, especially without our permission. We had never made the move official with the office and were still paying rent for the month! We went to the main office and explained the situation. After a couple hours of waiting, we were told that there had been a miscommunication and their people went to the wrong apartment. They were supposed to go to an apartment next door, but instead went to ours. They were acting like it wasn't a big deal at all that our stuff had been stolen! It made me so angry! I understand that miscommunications happen sometimes, but this was their mistake, not ours. We shouldn't have to pay for their "miscommunication". So far, we have discovered the loss of our vacuum, Coleman camping stove, a lamp, and a book (that we just so happened to be borrowing from our neighbors... sweet...). The manager wasn't in on Sunday to discuss what we were going to do about the situation, so now we are playing the waiting game again and hope to hear back from the apartment manager sometime today. Wish us luck that all will go well.
On a happier note, our Sunday did have a good ending. The whole crew (minus Alena) got together and had chocolate fondue at the Melting Pot to celebrate Chris' birthday. Chris even got a beautiful birthday song performed by me and Ashley. Regardless of the look of disgust on his face, I think he liked it :) Today is Chris' real birthday, so we hope he has a good day today. Happy 24th, Chris!
Thankfully, Monday turned out to be a much better day than Sunday... well for me, at least. Ryan spent most of the day studying for a big quiz he has today, but I got to spend most of my day out with Angela and Ashley. We had a delicious lunch at the Olive Garden and a successful day of shopping afterwards. Then, later in the day, Chris, Angela, Ryan, and I went and got gym passes for me and Angela (Yay for swimming aerobics!) and then took Misha to the dog park.
Well, I'd say we had a pretty good Labor Day weekend. The only bad thing about keeping so busy (especially when you're busy doing fun things) is that the weekend seems to go by way too fast. Neither Ryan nor I were ready to get back to work and school on Tuesday. Oh well. At least we have a short week this week and then another weekend will be here!
Comments