School Update
So, I hope you don't mind, but I'm feeling really good and proud of myself so I'm gonna take a minute to boast about my amazing academic achievements this quarter. Wednesday night at the beginning of class, my A&P teacher called out my name along with 2 others and said that he would like to meet with us after class. Of course, after that, I had a really hard time concentrating on the lecture. I was super anxious (and a little nervous) about what he needed to talk to me about. When class was over, the three of us stayed behind until all of the other students had left. Our professor explained that he was extremely proud of all of us because we had far exceeded his expectations - we all had class percentages over 104% - and, as such, he is not requiring us to take the final! Woohoo!!!!! He also said that were exceptional students and he would highly recommend us for any program that we decided to pursue, should we need him to write letters of recommendation for us. I can't even tell you how excited I am! For the first time ever, I am the smarty pants in the class, and I LOVE it!!! Alright, enough about me...
A couple days ago, Ryan got the dreaded email that confirmed the date on which he will be taking Step 1 of the boards: June 3rd... Ryan has been freaking out about this test since his acceptance into medical school. I can't say I blame him. His score on this one test is pretty much what determines what kind of doctor he will become and where we will be going for residency. For those of you who may be unfamiliar with Step 1, let me explain it to you in the words of our good friend Dave, as Ryan and I believe he was really able to capture the true essence of it (Dave, I hope you don't mind that I'm quoting you.):
"For anyone who has ever taken the MCAT, or the GRE, or even the ACT or SAT, the general concept is the same: here is a standardized test meant to normalize the knowledge obtained from all the different schools and curriculums out there, to put everyone on an even footing so that things like grade inflation or under-the-table bribery are factored out. Except Step 1 is like if you selectively breeded all those other tests for traits such as length, detail, stress level, and horribleness, injected it with steroids, gave it a wooden club studded with brass nails, and then let it loose on an unsuspecting population of medical students. The freakin' thing lasts for 8 hours, is 336 questions long, and you have about an average of 1 minute and 15 seconds to answer each question."
Sounds fun, doesn't it? Dave went on to give an example of a question that might appear on the exam and holy crap! The way that Dave explained everything was pretty comical and I really enjoyed his post, but his explanation is just too real for comfort...So, if any of you happen to see my boy around, be nice to him. He's gonna be riding on the edge of insanity for the next three months as he prepares to take this test and he'll need all the support he can get! Even though these next few months will be difficult, I know that Ryan will do awesome, and so will you, Dave!
On a happier note, Ryan took his Endo/Repro final today and passed! He couldn't be happier that this class is over as it was his least favorite class thus far. Congrats, babe!
A couple days ago, Ryan got the dreaded email that confirmed the date on which he will be taking Step 1 of the boards: June 3rd... Ryan has been freaking out about this test since his acceptance into medical school. I can't say I blame him. His score on this one test is pretty much what determines what kind of doctor he will become and where we will be going for residency. For those of you who may be unfamiliar with Step 1, let me explain it to you in the words of our good friend Dave, as Ryan and I believe he was really able to capture the true essence of it (Dave, I hope you don't mind that I'm quoting you.):
"For anyone who has ever taken the MCAT, or the GRE, or even the ACT or SAT, the general concept is the same: here is a standardized test meant to normalize the knowledge obtained from all the different schools and curriculums out there, to put everyone on an even footing so that things like grade inflation or under-the-table bribery are factored out. Except Step 1 is like if you selectively breeded all those other tests for traits such as length, detail, stress level, and horribleness, injected it with steroids, gave it a wooden club studded with brass nails, and then let it loose on an unsuspecting population of medical students. The freakin' thing lasts for 8 hours, is 336 questions long, and you have about an average of 1 minute and 15 seconds to answer each question."
Sounds fun, doesn't it? Dave went on to give an example of a question that might appear on the exam and holy crap! The way that Dave explained everything was pretty comical and I really enjoyed his post, but his explanation is just too real for comfort...So, if any of you happen to see my boy around, be nice to him. He's gonna be riding on the edge of insanity for the next three months as he prepares to take this test and he'll need all the support he can get! Even though these next few months will be difficult, I know that Ryan will do awesome, and so will you, Dave!
On a happier note, Ryan took his Endo/Repro final today and passed! He couldn't be happier that this class is over as it was his least favorite class thus far. Congrats, babe!
Comments
As for boards, I'm getting ready for the long haul, not only will we need to be great supports for the guys, but to each other too.
And, I think there are going to be a lot of days that I'll be calling each of you saying "You wanna get out of the house?????". Med school is hard. And, I bet the boys don't like it either ;)