A good one at last

For almost as long as I can remember, Valentine's Day has been one of those holidays that just never goes how it's supposed to. I can think of a select few that weren't total disasters, but, for the most part, they have all been pretty terrible. Part of it is probably my own fault for having expectations that are too high...but that's besides the point! I don't think it's too much to ask for your man to do something a little out of the ordinary to show you how much he cares every now and then. And for men like mine (goodness knows I love him), they need a holiday to remind them to bring out their romantic side. Now, I'm a strong believer that you should show the one you love that you care all year round (not just on V-Day) but I don't think there is anything wrong with having a day dedicated to romance and love, do you? Anyway, this year, I decided that I would cut my losses and tell Ryan exactly what I wanted rather than hope that he would read my mind and expect some fabulous V-Day surprise and then be disappointed when it didn't happen. So about a month before the dreaded holiday, I casually asked Ryan if he had been thinking about V-Day at all. He gave me a really funny look and laughed as he said, "That's more than a month away!" I explained that I just wanted to remind him that the holiday was coming up and that I wanted him to do something sweet and nice for me and I would do the same. He seemed a little thrown off by how forward I was being, but we ended up having a nice little conversation...and it totally paid off!

When the big day came, Ryan started it off by cooking me a delicious breakfast of eggs, pancakes, jam and toast, and orange juice. He even thought to heat up the syrup, just how I like it! After breakfast, I gave him his V-Day prizes which consisted of a new cell phone cover and a DVD. While Ryan cleaned up breakfast, I went to the gym to regain my appetite since Ryan's second surprise was that he was taking me to one of my favorite restaurant for lunch, Hiro. I about fainted when Ryan told me that I could get whatever I wanted - he's usually pretty adamant that I choose the cheapest thing on the menu when we go out to eat! We ended up ordering about 6 sushi rolls which we split and boy was it good! Unfortunately, Ryan had to get to school to study, so we parted ways for a little while in the afternoon only to meet at the house later for a movie, Ryan's homemade whirly-pop kettle corn, and some cuddling. It was a wonderful day! The breakfast, lunch, and presents were all great, but my favorite part had to be the one-on-one time that Ryan and I were able to spend together. I love you, babe! Thanks for putting up with such a demanding bride. You're my favorite. =)

Comments

yay! I got breakfast and sushi for v-day too! I am like you as well. Always expecting some surprise for valentines day. I don't think guys quite understand that it is nice to have a romantic day, and/or something out of the ordinary we can look forward to. And most men don't understand hints, so you really just have to tell them what you want to happen...which sort of ruins any "surprise" we hope for. maybe someday they'll figure it out. haha
Lindsey said…
That sounds like a perfect day!

Popular Posts