Rock-a-bye baby

Today I got to thinking and realized that I never sing to Emmy. Before she was born, I pictured myself singing to her all the time to calm her cries and soothe her to sleep. I tried singing to her a couple of times when she was really young, but for some reason it felt kinda awkward and was a habit that just never stuck. Maybe it's silly, but I feel a little sad about that. Music has always been a big part of my life. I've been singing and performing since I was a little girl and some of my earliest memories are of my mom singing to me at night before I would go to bed. So tonight I decided to try singing to Emmy again. When she started getting tired, I wrapped her up in a blanket, settled down in the rocking chair in her room, and went through every children's lullaby and primary song I know. Emmy just looked at me with her big blue eyes as I sang until she eventually drifted off to sleep. I loved spending that sweet, quiet time with her. I couldn't help but get a little teared up as I looked back at her. She is so beautiful. So pure. So perfect. I feel incredibly blessed that Heavenly Father has given me the opportunity to be the mother of this amazing little spirit. There's a song by Martina McBride called "In My Daughter's Eyes" that says

"In my daughter's eyes, I am a hero,
I am strong and wise,
And I know no fear,
But the truth is plain to see,
She was sent to rescue me,
I see who I want to be,
In my daughter's eyes"

Even though Emmy is barely 3 months old, these lyrics capture exactly how I feel. Emmy has turned my world upside down. She has helped me remember what is truly important in life and has given me a renewed desire to be the very best person that I can be. I want to be everything she needs and believes me to be. I hope that I never let her down.

I think that singing at bedtime will become part of our nightly routine. I'm glad I decided to give it another try. Just imagine all the tender moments I would be missing out on if I hadn't.

Comments

Jewelyn said…
Oh I love this post. Soo so true. All of it.

Popular Posts