Fashion? In Omaha?

Last week was Omaha Fashion Week! That's right! Who'da thunk that Omaha would have one of those? I sure didn't think they would. Since we share a love of all things pretty and sparkly, Patty, Angela, and I decided to take part in some of the festivities. On Thursday night, we went to Boutique Night at the Nomad (a really cool bar in Old Market) to check out what our local boutiques have to offer and see the Vintage Exhibit that was set up inside the bar. There was some pretty cool stuff to see including a jewelry designer who made rings and necklaces out of pretty stones and wire - her stuff was my favorite. There was a mini runway show that night too. The outfits were awesome, but it was kinda hard to focus on the clothes because of the models who were in them... And I don't mean that in a good way. To give you a nice mental image, mix Mary-Kate and Ashley pouty lips with squinty trying-too-hard-to-be-sexy eyes, an awkward I-can-barely-walk-in-these-heels strut, and a dangerously swinging arm and there you have 90% of the models we saw that night. Ha ha. Oh well. At least the show was still entertaining... :)
These are some of my favorites from the Vintage Exhibit

Saturday was the big Fashion Week Runway finale. Us girls got all dressed up, had our personal chauffeur (Chris) drop us off downtown at Matsu Sushi for dinner, and then made our way to the stage for the big outdoor fashion show. We scoped out the perfect spot and waited for the show to begin while sipping on our cocktails. Well, I didn't have any cocktails, of course, but I pretended to be fancy by ordering a cranberry juice with 2 tiny straws! :)
The show was actually really good, excluding the 40-minute intermission. What kind of intermission lasts 40 minutes?? Our poor little feetsies were killing us by the time the whole thing was over! But that's besides the point... The models on Saturday were much better than they were on Thursday and there were some awesome designers. One of the designers was only 16 years old and made dresses out of newspaper and duct tape. I know most of you have probably seen these kinds of dresses before - I had seen them before too - but this chick's stuff was in a way different ballpark, I thought. A-MAZING! I wish I could have taken some pictures of her stuff, but my camera doesn't fair so well from far away and in weird lighting. Bad combo. Below are a couple pictures I took that actually turned out okay along with a few I found online:


I wasn't so much a fan of the goth stuff (pictured above), but there were some interesting characters standing behind us who sure loved it. One of these said characters was a dude with black eyeliner on who had painted some kind of bloody head wound on the top of his shaved head and then had "blood" running down all over his face. Why couldn't he have painted something nice like a heart or a teddy bear?
Photo Above by Chris Machian/The Omaha World-HeraldWell, when the fashion festivities finally came to an end, we were all pleasantly surprised with what we saw, plus I think all three of us gained renewed and enhanced desires to shop. Not that any of us needed any help with that in the first place!
Comments