Prayer

A while back, I had the opportunity to listen to an especially wonderful lesson at church. I want to share one particular thought because it was something that really touched my heart. Life had been fairly stressful for me at the time and this was something that I was so grateful to hear. In Gospel Doctrine we were reading from The Book of Mormon in 3 Nephi. My friend Jocelyn always has something brilliant to offer and during this lesson she commented on verse 3 in 3 Nephi, Chapter 12 which says "Yea, blessed are the poor in spirit who come unto me, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." Jocelyn mentioned her belief that “poor in spirit” refers to those who may be struggling spiritually- those who are not spiritually perfect. So, in essence, this scripture testifies to her that she does not need to be doing everything right in order ask for or receive help from Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. As I have been praying for help and answers, I also have experienced feelings of inadequacy. Many times I feel like I am undeserving or unworthy to receive help because there are so many things that I know I need to be doing better, and until I am living my life more righteously, I should not and will not receive the help that I am seeking. I am grateful for this amazing scripture and Jocelyn’s insight. I am grateful for the knowledge that even though there may be a million things that I need to improve on in my life, it doesn't mean that I will not receive answers to my prayers. It is the “poor in spirit” whom Jesus wants most of all to come unto Him and He will not leave them alone.

Comments

Jewelyn said…
Wow I really like that. Hits home with me too. Thanks for the thought.
Traci said…
That's a really great insight. I feel like that sometimes too. Thanks for sharing!
Jamie! Wow, that's quite a compliment and I'm not sure I deserve it, but I'm glad what I said helped you. It's comforting to know that the Lord expects us to be imperfect, that's the whole point of His sacrifice for us. If we were perfect, we wouldn't need Him at all.

I miss you guys like crazy and I wish we could see you over Christmas. We are officially coming home in March, but don't plans to come down just yet. We may be changing our plans. I'll let you know. I love you and I hope you guys are having a great Christmas. It doesn't feel anything like Christmas down here, but it's snowing in my head!!

Popular Posts